Sunday, June 20, 2010

Do you even know what's in that?

How many times have I asked myself this question this week at the beach? haha Oh dear... between the boardwalk food and all of the "little" treats we feel are necessary for a vacation- sometimes it gets out of hand. I am the first one to tell you that you should have some fun on vacation, relax your typical routine and splurge a little. However, my moto is and always will be MODERATION!!!!

Sometimes I'll look at people like Drew Feldman who can eat 7000 calories in a day and stay so stinking twiggy and think ... ahh wouldn't that be nice? He had 8 gigantic cheesesticks on vacation before his meal came i mean- it must have been a pound of cheese for his appetizer and yet he doesn't gain an ounce. But here's something you might not realize, Drew is also the most hyperactive young man you'll ever meet. He burns those calories in a few hours with all of his incredible flips and jumps! My point is that yes you might say, but why can't I eat like that? But unless you're movin' like some of those people do we have to use a little self control- UGH!

Again I'm not saying you can't splurge a little but moderation is my favorite word- know why? Because it means that YES i can still eat ice cream every day but I literally measure out the half cup serving EVERY DAY! It may be annoying but maintaining your healthy weight is way easier than eating whatever and then having to loose a ton later ya know?

So here's a tip, go ahead and eat that candy bar but get some snack size ones so you're not tempted to wolf down the 350 calorie version all at once. My mom and I are all for our sweets so we found the things that we love only in smaller versions. Also variety tends to keep you satisfied longer. So you might want 2 hershey kisses and a mini baby ruth bar with an oreo one night. That's still only 175 calories for all of that as opposed to a normal baby ruth bar for 300! So much of a difference. And the other amazing benefit of moderation is that you stick with it longer because you never deprive yourself. I mean let's face it, when we diet and rule out all sugar or all fat or all carbs- how long can you possibly stick with that? Then you loose the weight but you haven't changed your lifestyle. So you end up gaining it all back plus more sometimes! NO FUN! So here's the trick, eat smaller portions, never give up what you love, and you end up succeeding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment